Kids can make a HUGE impression on a wedding and depending on who you ask, that impression can either be magical or frightful. It is guest list time and you now have to make the call. There are 4 stages of the “Kid Decision” and here are some tips to make it through them all.
Who Is Included?
- It is OK to only invite kids of family or kids of friends
- You can also put an age limit on your guest list such as over 12 or over 18
Informing Your Guests
- Include “and Family” on the invitation envelope if kids ARE invited
- You can also write each specific guests name on the response card
- DO NOT print “Adult Only” on the invitation, instead have your family, bridal party and friends help spread the word
- You CAN put “Adult Only” on the wedding website
“I Didn’t See Katie and Luke’s Names On The Invitation, They Are Invited, RIGHT???”
- Stand strong! Be firm!
- Inform them you are limiting the guest list due to budget restraints and you can not include everyone
- Explain your inviting parameters so there are no hurt feelings
And they STILL come…
- Don’t make a scene!
- At the ceremony you can kindly ask them to move to the back of the church if the kids start to fuss
- At the reception get them a seat discretely and if you are asked by other guests why they got to bring their kids you simply say: “They couldn’t find a sitter in time and brought them without my knowledge”
Good luck and just remember to make light of the unexpected and ask your photographer to get photos of those moments!